I’m concerned about the new security setup in Vista. Now that Vista allows developers to develop without being an administrator on a workstation, I fear the IT/Networking/Security Departments!
Why do I fear them? Because they resist change. Each time I request to have a new anything (font, VS Add-In, or tool) installed on my workstation I have to:
· Submit a request to my team leader/manager/supervisor
· After approval, forward the request to the IT Department for review/approval
· Respond to questions about the request
· Defend the request after it is refused
· Re-submit the request to the next level of management (Once I had to request approval from the CIO! By the way, CIOs don’t like to be involved in what tools are installed on developer workstations.)
· This is typically when a meeting is called between someone in IT, myself, and a mid to upper level manager
· Finally, get approval to download and install the software
I can understand if I had to go through this process the first couple times I made a request for new software, but I’ve done this a half dozen times and there still isn’t a level of trust between the IT department and myself or the development team.
Today I requested to have the Consolas font installed, we’ll see what happens…